THE LUXE LETTERS
The Luxe Letters are beauty insights providing you with the newest trends, tips and tricks of the trade to ensure a look that lasts way past your visit!
Hi I'm Brynne, Owner of Luxe Color Lounge!
I'm a natural curly girl and am always answering questions about how I style my hair, what products I use etc. and after my Curl Talk, I wanted to do a breakdown with some tips, tricks and photos (yes, some of these are of me just waking up and all of them are makeup free thanks to quarantine (and honestly, my usual look)).
1. This photo was taken after a full wash day! I use Ouidad's VitalCurl™+ Balancing Rinse Shampoo and Conditioner along with it's styling gel. Full details on how to properly wash arehere and how to properly style are here. If you'd like to order Ouidad products click here and email us!
2. This photo shows how I clip my hair before bed! Using small curly girl clips (below). I twist my hair in different sections going with my curl pattern and pin to the top of my head while I sleep. This keeps all my curls in place through the night and I also sleep with a silk pillow case (below).
3. When I wake up, I carefully take out my clips and this is usually what my hair first looks like - a little crazy. But, I let it settle on its own (I do not touch yet or try to adjust this will just add more frizz and disrupt my curls). I'll make coffee, do my morning routine, get dressed all with my crazy hair.
4. Finally, when it settles a bit on its own, I use the end of a comb or a pick to place my curls where I want them. At this point I may spray a tiny bit of water with a spray bottle (below) or flip my head upside down and fluff. By sleeping with the clips I get a little more volume on day 2 then on day 1, which I prefer!
5. The next day, I do the same morning routine letting my curls fall (3) and see what my curls choose to do that morning. I had a few that weren't as curly and weren't cooperating. When this happens, I'll clip a section back and out of the way and even part my hair differently. Curly hair does have a mind of its own!
6. A bit less definition on this day, but amping up the volume. I didn't do anything this day but shower in a low bun. Sometimes the humidity from the shower amps up the volume (which I look for) If you are looking to tame your volume, consider showering in a cap.
7. This day, I used the diffuser again a refresh. I showered with my hair down, got it only a little damp and then dried using the diffuser very briefly. If you're looking for more curl definition on your blowdryers "cool" setting. I use DevaCurl's Diffuser (below) because it gets super close to my root which tends to be the hardest to reach for me.
8. Post yoga hair (did yoga in a very loose pony on top of my head) let it down and clipped the side for a different style.
9. At this point, I start waking up like this instead of photo 3. This is about when I know I only have about 2 more days before another wash day.
10. Because of this, I'll rock a half up half down look. This photo 10 is before I showered...
11. And this is post-shower. I did not touch my hair, I allowed very little water to hit it, but the moisture and humidity from being in the shower gave my curls a new fullness and moisture!
12. At this point, it's time for another wash day, or I'll throw my hair up in a messy bun!